Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Spreading a Little Valentine's Day Love

Today I celebrate my valentine, the person who STILL gives me butterflies after all these years.  It’s crazy to think we’ve been together 7.5 years and I’m as crazy about him today as I was the day we met.  My husband is my rock, the force that keeps me moving forward and the person who has expanded my heart.  Wesley, I often say, has so many qualities that I admire.  His patience, his understanding, the way that he loves people just as they are.  He has taught me so much about love, about releasing insecurities, and trusting completely.  He’s the man that I fall madly in love with every time I see him with our son. 

A little secret, I hate Valentine’s Day.  Like, let’s pretend it’s not happening…no card, no chocolates, no flowers, nothing.  I expressly told this to my sweet husband yesterday.  I didn’t get him a card, a gift, nothing.  I don’t feel guilty about it, I just don’t get into the whole “made up” holiday of sorts.   True to form, this morning, my lovely husband had a small gift and card waiting for me.  Love him…so much…Valentine’s Day not so much.  But, no matter how much I don’t give into the gift giving, I do take the opportunity to celebrate the wonderful husband and father that he is.  My life is blessed and I’m acutely aware, now more than ever, that these blessings can be taken at a moment’s notice.  I fully intended to love on my boys today, at least from afar.  I’m at work and Wesley is working the night shift tonight.  Sigh.  The life of a police officer’s wife.

 Happy Valentine’s Day!

No comments: