Friday, July 1, 2011

A Crazy Plan

I was checking out a website yesterday that posts profiles of available children through foster-adopt. I stumbled across this little girls profile and something just told me to pick up the phone and inquire about her. To make a long story short, the first lady I spoke with didn't want to give me any information unless my social worker called.

I then called my social worker. She was less than happy that I had veered off course and was now inquiring about this little girl available to adopt through the foster system. She gave me a myriad of reasons as to why we shouldn't be considering this. I got off the phone with her and decided to call around on my own. Yes I'm a control freak but I also knew I could get the answers I needed.

I was able to speak with a very helpful social worker in Chicago who shared this child's background information with me (or what little she had access to). She is currently in foster care about 20 minutes from us. She has a medical condition that is treated with medication and monitoring. She is just too sweet.

The dream died all to fast when the website took her profile down yesterday afternoon because they had an overwhelming number of inquiries about her. They will begin the process of selecting a family for her from the profiles that were submitted. What we found out is that we would have to become certified through the Missouri STARS program in order to be eligible to adopt waiting children from foster care. My heart breaks because I could just see her becoming a part of our family.

What is funny is that adopting an older child is a viable option for us - we just had no reason to consider it as we go through the infant adoption process. I'm trying to be better at listening to God's voice. It was beyond scary to even pick up the phone and ask about this child but I'm glad I did. I pray that the family that is chosen for her is the perfect fit. She seems like a very sweet girl who deserves a bright future!

My heart is open to God's way. The road is full of twists and turns and I'm trying my best to not let fear dictate my path in life. I know our social worker though I had gone off the deep end...I don't care. I'm just happy to see myself taking these small leaps of faith as I feel called to do. Wesley and I might decide to take the STARS class even though we are not eligible for this child - or we might decide to wait a little bit. I know we'll be praying about it and I know we will follow our hearts.

No comments: