Monday, September 12, 2011

Unplanned

I read this book a couple months ago called Unplanned. It's the story of an ex-Planned Parenthood Director. It's her story from pro-choice to pro-life. It is profoundly moving and weighs heavily on your heart long after you have turned the last page.

I like to think of myself as pro-choice. I believe that every woman should have the right to choose what happens to her body. It's not for the government to decide or for someone to forbid certain behaviors. On the other hand, I (personally) stand firmly against abortion. So where does that put me? Some waffler in the middle of this great debate. However, the longer we sit on the waiting list...just waiting for our little miracle...the more time I have to be thankful for all the women out there who choose life. Because of their brave and selfless sacrafice, I will be a mom. These women could easily choose to have an abortion. After all, they are bombarded by "choice" and words to make them believe that the life inside them is a "fetus" not an infant. Praise God for quieting their minds and leading them towards something greater.

Regardless of the reasons why a birthmom chooses life over abortion, the outcome is still the same. They are providing another couple with the gift of life...a gift, that without these women, would be impossible for me and Wesley. I pray for our birthmom (wherever she is) daily. I think about her and the struggles she will have to overcome while choosing abortion, life, adoption etc. I cannot imagine the weight that she must carry throughout her pregnancy. I pray that the Lord's peace is with these women as they make huge life changing decisions.

1 comment:

All in His Perfect Timing said...

That is a beautiful thing you are doing ... praying for your baby's birth mom. Prayer is such a powerful thing.